If you have an American Express Membership Reward earning card, you might be in luck! Earlier this month, Amazon launched a promotion with its American Express partnership where you could save 50% off your Amazon purchase, up to $15 to $60 in savings. But starting today, those maximums have been increased where you could now save up to $80. In fact, you might even be able to take advantage of this offer again, even if you already redeemed the offer earlier this month. You can check your specific promotion here.
This is the perfect timing as it could save you a boatload of money on any Black Friday and Cyber Monday purchases as Amazon.
All you have to do is use just 1 Membership Reward point towards your purchase and you’ll immediately see the savings apply during checkout.
Save up to $80 with Membership Reward points
You can receive either up to 50% off your next purchase(s) up to a certain threshold. Your particular offer will let you know your savings, but the percentage will come off every purchase you make — up to the cap stated — through Dec. 31, 2021. Some offers I’ve seen include:
- 15% off your purchases, up to a $15 savings
- 30% off your purchases, up to a $50 savings
- 50% off your purchases, up to a $80 savings
Of course the $50% off, up to $80 savings is the best offer, but even the lower offers are still a decent savings as well. And fortunately, I was finally targeted for the higher $80 savings offer!
Like all other Amazon / Amex Membership Reward promotions, only items sold and shipped by Amazon will qualify for the discount. You’ll have to check here to see if you are eligible and activate the offer.
Unfortunately though, if you are not eligible, you will instead receive the dreaded “Sorry, you’re not eligible for this offer right now” message.
Savings with the promotion
If you are targeted for the 50% discount, this would bring the Bose Quiet Comfort 35 II headphones down to just $99! Normally, these headphones are priced at $349, which means more than a 70% savings. If you are in the market for these headphones, this is on par with the best we’ve ever seen — which usually comes once a year, if that.
Or, purchase two Kindles for just $29.99 total. This takes into consideration both the 50% savings and a $20 discount on purchasing two of them. Normally, each Kindle costs $49.99 with the current deal, so this is a huge savings.
The Instant Pot Duo Plus 9-in-1 is typically $139.99, but with the current Black Friday savings and the 50% discount, the price is down to just $39.97! Again, this is about a 70% discount.
Lastly, the New Apple AirPod Pro is currently having a massive Black Friday savings. Originally listed at $249, but currently down to just $159. With the 50% savings you are fully maxing out the $80 savings to the fullest, bringing the cost down to just $79.50. From the list price, this is a massive 68% discount!
Steps to save money with Amazon
- If you haven’t already linked your American Express card to your Amazon account, you can do that here. (TIP: If you are not targeted for this offer, unlink your card and relink to see if that triggers the promotion).
- Activate the offer in your Amazon account
- Shop at Amazon.com to receive your savings. Note: All products must be sold and shipped by Amazon.com.
- On the payment page, select your linked Membership Rewards earning credit card. At the bottom of the payment page you’ll see all your linked accounts where you can use points (Chase and Amex). Select your American Express Membership Rewards Points account and enter the number of points you want to use towards your purchase. Since I do not like redeeming my points at Amazon (due to the low redemption value), I entered just 1 cent which means 1 point will be applied. For the promotion to apply, the minimum amount required is only 1 point! Do not do full points as it is not a good value!
- On the checkout page, you’ll see the 1 point applied and the additional savings. No promotion code needed!
Combine with 5x Membership Reward points
In addition to the savings you’ll receive — if you are eligible — you can also earn 5x points on all purchases made with your American Express Membership Reward card. Right now there is an Amex Offer with this particular bonus, so make sure to add the offer to the Amex credit card that is tied to your Amazon account.
So let’s say you are targeted for the 50% discount, up to $80 in savings, and make a $160 purchase. Simply by using 1 Amex Membership Reward point your purchase price is down to $80. You’ll then earn 5x points on your purchase, giving you an extra 400 points. If you value your points at 2 cents apiece, this is worth $8.
These are always some ways to save even more money at Amazon. Since this promotion does not require a coupon code, you are also able to combine it with any codes that surface. You can also stack your savings with any additional money-saving offers, such as up to 40% off books, $10 off a $25 office supplies purchase or any of their other daily deals.
Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.