Back in October 2017 Hilton opened up their Innovation Gallery at the Hilton McLean Tysons Corner. I was fortunate enough to spend a few days with the Hilton loyalty team last week and was given a tour of this awesome space! The gallery is an open concept space which is used to serve as a fun and interactive way to brainstorm new ideas. Throughout the gallery you can see different innovations that are either currently being tested at Hilton properties or innovations that they are exploring to hopefully one day implement. It is an evolving space with new ideas and concepts popping up all the time!
One of my favorite areas of the gallery was their darkroom. This space is a way for them to experience with new types of materials and furniture to see how they can be environmentally friendly and re-create spaces to work better in the room. For example, they are currently looking at how they can utilize moss on the wall which is known to absorb sound and release humidity.
Another example is how they create transformable furniture. They sought out a local builder who was able to create a dresser that also turned into a table with benches.
Innovated Being Tested at Select Hilton Properties
Here are innovations that can be found throughout the gallery that you might find at at select Hilton properties today:
- Amazon lockers in the lobby so you can have packages waiting for you upon arrival or at any point throughout your stay. This will mean the front desk will not have to worry about accepting packages and having them potentially getting lost in some back room. This works just like any Amazon locker where any purchases made from Amazon can be sent to a convenient locker location for you to pick up when you are available.
- Instead of picking up the phone in your room to call down to the front desk, you can just text the hotel to ask a question or have something fixed. There will be someone at the hotel always fielding these text messages which will allow for quicker response time!
- Work out in your room! Select rooms have a space to allow you to work out in privacy. There are over 11 different types of fitness and accessory options with work out videos as well!
And here are are a few innovations found throughout they gallery that they are looking to implement in the near future:
- Prime Now – will allow guests to order and receive same day delivery of certain products through Amazon’s “Prime Now” function.
- Amazon Fresh – Also through their Amazon partnership which will allow guests groceries throughout their stay. This is a great option at extended stay hotels!
- Alexa will be in your hotel room which will allow you to access your Hilton Honors information.
I am really excited for Hilton to have this Innovation Gallery in place as it really gives them a space to get their creative juices going. Being at the forefront when it comes to utilizing technology and sustainability seems to be incredibly important to Hilton and this gallery will definitely help them! I hope to visit the gallery again in the near future to see what new ideas and concepts they have brewing!