UPDATE: My PR contact at IHG (the one who initially let me know about this promotion), wrote back to me saying “Yes, they will win something each time.” Keep in mind though it is a third-party running the contest, so rules can always get lost in translation too, but I am going to assume the best and assume she is correct.
Last week I wrote about a way to get 47,000 IHG points for only $46. It is part of the IHG “surprise” promotion where you don’t actually have to stay at an IHG hotel to win a prize! In my opinion it is an awesome opportunity to win some free stuff from IHG without having to put out much money or even leave your couch!
The terms are vague and do not specify whether or not you are guaranteed to win a prize on every entry. In my prior post, there were many statistics that people included in the comments section on your chances of winning based on the odds listed in the terms. I sort of believe you will win the minimum prize of 500 on every entry, but not 100% sure. I do have an email out to the IHG PR representative to find out more about this, so will keep you posted once I hear back. You can check out the full terms of this promotion here.
First off, I suggest reading my prior blog post to fully understand the promotion if you decide to participate. If so, here is how you can go ahead and prepare.
Items to Purchase:
- Purchase at least 94 3×5 notecards. I made sure to get the ones without lines to ensure I fully followed the directions. The terms specify 3×5 so makes sure they are not any bigger or any smaller. Contests like this are very strict with rules. I personally purchased these ones on Amazon for $2.29, although there are way more then I need, it was only $2.29. While you can get a 100 pack at Staples for slightly cheaper and use a card that gives you 5x points (i.e., Chase Ink cards), I was not going to go to the store to save a few pennies.
- Purchase at least 94 envelopes. The terms do not state anything about the size of the envelope, so any size that a 3×5 piece of paper fits in should work. I purchased these ones on Amazon for $6.99. I actually couldn’t find them cheaper at Staples online, but I am sure you can, especially since you can opt for some cheap envelopes. I wanted to find envelopes where I didn’t have to lick 94 seals!
- Purchase 94 stamps. This will cost you $46.06. Using a Chase Ink card at an office supply store will get you 5x points on this purchase!
Filling Out and Sending In Entry Form:
- Sign up for an IHG Rewards Club account number if you do not already have one.
- Register for this promotion!
- On the 3 x 5 piece of paper, handwrite the following information:
- Full Name
- Complete Mailing Address
- Day Phone Number
- Evening Phone Number
- Email Address
- IHG Number
- First 6 Digits of MasterCard
- Date of Birth
- For the envelope, it does not specify that you must handwrite the address, however, it does state “use of any automated system to participate is prohibited and will result in disqualification”. That can be interpreted as a computer printing out labels. It is up to you whether or not you want to print labels or possibly be safe and just write it out on all 94 entries. The mailing address is:
- IHG and MasterCard® Priceless Surprises® Promotion, c/o HelloWorld, Inc., P.O. Box 5996, Kalamazoo, MI 49003-5996
- Every envelope can only contain one 3 x 5 entry card. This means you must write out and send in 94 separate envelopes.
- The promotion does not begin until November 15, 2015, so I personally would not put them in the mail until then. Any entry that is stamped with a prior date could potentially be disqualified.
- Once your entry is received, you will receive an email within 5 business days from the contest administrator inviting you to play the game.
Even if you win the lowest possible prize every single time, that means you’ll earn 500 points per entry, thus 47,000 points if you submit the full 94 entries. There is also a chance that a few of those entries might earn you a bigger prize. For the bigger prizes, you can win at max 1 prize from the top giveaways (2016 Paris Tennis Tournament Package for 2, 2 different trip packages to NYC, Trip package to Orlando, $2,500 gift card, 1 million IHG points, Bose®Sound Touch®120 home theater system, an adventure package, Sony package,Bose®Wave® SoundTouch® music system IV), and 5 prizes from the 2nd tier giveaway (IHG free night, $50 MasterCard, 5,000 points, 2,000 points, and 1,000 points). There is no limit on the number of 500 point prizes you can win.
In my opinion, this is definitely worth it and something to do while watching TV tonight. I value 47,000 IHG points at around $235. So this is the minimum you’ll gain and you could always potentially win one of the big prizes! My total cost is $55.34. And I expect it to take around 2 minutes per card, so about 3 hours. I am actually only going to send in a handful of cards to begin with to ensure they are accepted prior to wasting time/money on the rest. I’ll probably send in 10 cards to start off with on Monday morning.