Southwest is truly hitting it out of the park right now with offering the most customer friendly policies with the current Coronavirus pandemic. First, they announced that they are capping fares at $199, then they put a waiver in place allowing you to change any many flights booked for no fare increase, and now they are offering an extension for credits expiring. With Southwest Airlines, if you pay for a flight and need to cancel, although there are no cancelation fees ever, you’ll be left with a Travel Fund voucher. Typically, these vouchers expire 12 months from when the flight was booked. However, in this current time of need, Southwest is extending the expiration date of these funds!
Southwest Travel Fund Extension Policy
If you have a travel fun that has expired or will expire between March 1 and May 31, 2020, those funds will now not expire until June 30, 2021. That gives you well over a year to use those funds — a policy I find extremely generous.
Additionally, any newly created funds because of flight cancelations during that same time period, will be extended as well till the same date. For example, if you book a flight today for a departure date of August 1 and need to cancel on May 30, typically the Travel Fund will expire a year from today, so March 19, 2020. However, with the waiver in place, these funds will have a few month extension. (Note: The Travel Fund must be created by May 31, so make sure you cancel by that date — assuming it doesn’t get extended).
In my opinion, this is quite generous of Southwest Airlines, especially since it applies to previous and new Travel Fund credits generated. Keep in mind though, when you book with points, if you need to cancel, the points will always go back to your account and the taxes/fees paid back to the credit card used. This is why using Southwest points is amazing as it is truly a risk free reservation, where you can always change, cancel and re-price your flight for no fee.
#1 points and miles travel credit card
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening — redeem points for $600 in cash back or a minimum of $725 towards travel
- Earn 2X points on travel and dining
- When you redeem your points through the Chase Ultimate Rewards travel portal, you’ll receive a 25% bonus when booking airfare, hotels, car rentals, and cruises
- No delivery fees for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with a DashPass subscription from DoorDash (over a $100 value). Must activate within your account by December 31, 2021.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022 — 3x points in addition to the 2x points you already earn on travel
- $95 annual fee
- Apply here