The current sign up offer for the British Airways credit card is 50,000 British Airways Avios points after meeting the minimum spend requirement (related blog post). Typically, a 50,000 point sign up offer is great for many cards (although not all!), but what is it worth in terms of Avios? Many common questions are: “How many free flights will it get me?”, “Where can I use my points”, and “What is the value of the 50,000 points?” This is a currency that can be quite confusing for many since the best options are typically using the points on a non-British Airways operated flight. Overall, I think it is safe to say that one could get on average $1,000 value out of the 50,000 points. For short-haul expensive flights you could potentially even get over $2,000 worth of flights. The minimum one should really get is $700 which can still be great, but I like to get a higher value! Of course when using the points on a Business class flight you will get much more value, but you will also be redeeming many more points.
So, 50,000 points can get you…
- 11 one-way short-haul flights on American Airlines or US Airways (4,500 points one-way). Some examples include: NYC to Toronto, NYC to Montreal, Boston to Washington DC, NYC to Charlotte, Los Angeles to Phoenix, Dallas to Denver, Miami to Bahamas, etc.
- 6 one-way medium-haul flights on American Airlines or US Airways (7,500 points one-way). Some examples include: Boston to Miami, NYC to Miami, NYC to Bermuda, Miami to Aruba, Miami to Puerto Rico, Dallas to Las Vegas, etc.
- 5 one-way medium/long-haul flights on American Airlines or US Airways (10,000 points one-way). Some examples include: NYC to Dallas, Boston to Dallas, NYC to Vail/Beaver Creek (EGE), Charlotte to Aruba, Dallas to Vancouver, etc.
- 2 one-way long-haul flights on American Airlines or US Airways (12,500 points one-way). Some examples include: NYC to Los Angeles, Los Angeles to Kauai, Phoenix to Honolulu, San Francisco to Miami, etc.
- 5 one-way flights from Sydney to Alice Springs (the Outback). This is an extremely expensive route, but you can redeem your British Airways points for 10,000 one-way!
- 2 roundtrip flights from Boston to Dublin. Or, 1 roundtrip flight on this same route in business class. A roundtrip flight is only 25,000 miles when using your British Airway flights on Aer Lingus!
- 1 roundtrip flight from the US to Spain (and still have 10,000 points left over). You can fly non-stop from Chicago, New York, Boston, Miami to either Madrid or Barcelona for 20,000 points each way. This can be done by transferring your British Airways Avios points to your Iberia account (transfer at a 1:1 ratio, but you must have had your Iberia account opened for 3 months to transfer). Done this way fuel charges are just over $100!
- 1 roundtrip flight from the US to Rio de Janeiro. These flights are exactly 50,000 points roundtrip and there are non-stop flights from New York, Dallas, and Miami.
- 1 roundtrip flight from Miami to Buenos Aires. Again, these flights are exactly 50,000 points roundtrip and can be flown from New York, Dallas, and Miami.
The ones I’ve listed above are just a small sample on where your points can take you. All of the routes above have low/no fuel surcharges, so your out of pocket cost will be minimal. Using British Airways Avios points on British Airways operated flights can run you well over $500 per ticket! Other intra-country options for low/no fuel surcharges are Asia, Australia (which I included an example above), and South America. The flights above are also all non-stop as that is where you get the biggest bang for your buck since the Avios program charges per segment. For example, if you have a flight with a layover, you will be charged the number of points for each individual segment.
How have you redeemed your British Airways miles? What is the best value you’ve received?
- Chase British Airways: 50,000 Avios points for new applicants after $2,000 in spend in the first 90 days; $95 annual fee waived the first year; earn 1 point per $1 spend on all purchases and 3 points per $1 on all British Airways purchases; free companion pass valid for 2 years after spending $30,000 in a calendar year on your card; no foreign transaction fees. Card application link. Related blog post